Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Cress

A delicate, tasty, herb that is so easy to grow but often forgotten about.  These seeds I planted a few days ago are nearly ready.


I have not found anywhere in Turkey that sells cress or cress seeds, but a packet of seeds brought over with a visitor lasts for ages and grows very quickly.
I have a small shallow dish with a see through lid which I line with kitchen roll, soak with water and then spread with the cress seeds.

On my kitchen work top the seeds germinate within a day, with the lid on, a day or two if you don't have a lid.
I then remove the lid and within a few days are ready to eat, remembering to keep the paper moist.
Providing you keep the paper moist the cress will last for several days.


Use the cress to make some lovely light Egg and Cress Open Sandwiches -
 http://janice-mytakeonfood.blogspot.com.tr/2009/10/open-sandwich-egg-and-cress.html

No comments:

Post a Comment