Meat has been very expensive in Turkey this year, so I have tried to make it go further, if you have lots of fresh vegetables one chicken portion will go along way as you may not have many chunks each but you still get the flavour.
Ingredients - serves 2 to 3
- 3 medium leeks or 2 large ones, roots and outer leaves removed, then roughly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, topped, tailed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup okra, washed and trimmed and cut in half if on large size
- 1 chicken portion, trimmed and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 chicken stock cube made up to 1 cup stock
- 1tsp celery salt
- 1tsp chervil
- salt and pepper to season
- splash of red wine, optional
In a large saucepan add all of the ingredients and stir well. I like to then put it in the fridge for at least an hour to let the ingredients marinade. Bring out of the fridge for 30 minutes before cooking.
Bring to the boil over a high heat and then turn the heat right down and allow to simmer for around an hour until the chicken and vegetables are cooked.
This can be simply served with crusty bread or as I have with mashed potatoes, made with a little milk and butter and some chervil to compliment the casserole and what ever green vegetables you have.